Friday, January 31, 2014

DIY Turban Headband and Beanie

Need a fashionable way to stay warm while it's freezing out? How about turban headbands and beanies. I love these I've watched a few tutorials and different ways to make them. This is how I did it!

For the no sew headband turban you'll need:

First you'll take your t-shirt and spread it out to cut. I used an old plain white t-shirt I had laying around that I used the corner of for another project. Try to use old shirts that are kind if large and stretchy fabric is better too. If the shirt is too small it won't fit over your head very well. 
Next, you'll cut a strip through both sides of shirt. This thicker the strip you cut the thicker the turban headband will be I made mine about 5-6 inches. Try to cut clean striaght lines, it's easier if you put the tshirt on a flat surface to do this.
You'll open it up the t-shirt to make a circle. 
Then twist in the middle twice like this to make what looks like and infinity symbol. 
Then take one side and place it on top of the other like this. 
Stretch it out and you have a turban head band!
I made two of these, the second one I used an old tube top that was kinda of bigger at the bottom and made of stretchy fabric. I made my cut a little smaller than the white one. 
I love how my both turned out! You can wear these a couple different ways and can double as an ear warmer. I think it would also be fun to make these out of an old sweater.



Next is the (some) sew but no machine necessary beanie turban. Here is what you'll need:

The shirt I used was kind of like a thin sweater almost, with a large band at the bottom which I thought was perfect for a beanie. To start, I put my shirt inside out. The I took my shirt and measured it around my head keeping the side seam on the side of my head. I pulled it a little tight because I wanted it to have a snug fit. Then I marked where I wanted it but be sure to make it just a tad bigger than you want you'll need to have room to sew.
Then I made a mark about 6-7 inches up. This will be the top of the beanie of your beanie. If you want the to top to be looser add a couple more inches. I wanted mine to be tighter to my head. Make a mark centered between the side seam and the mark you already made and however high you want.

My marks are kind of hard to see. Using both marks you made draw a beanie shape and cut it out of both side of the shirt. If I makes it easier you pin both sides of the shirt together to make and even cut on both sides. 

Now just take your needle and thread and sew along the line you cut out! I hand sewed this but if you wanted to you could use a machine. When you are done sewing flip it inside out and it should look like a beanie. 

Next is the front detail. First, you pinch the very front bottom middle of the beanie using you pointer finger and your thumb, as shown below. 
Now take that pinched section and fold it back on the beanie like so.
Then pinch again like how you did it the first time but this time also have what you folded in your hand still and then fold back on the beanie like so.
You create the front peak by folding it. Try to make sure all the folds are the same length. Then pinch all of the fols together.
You are going to sew this front section of folds you've created. Try to sew this right in the front middle of the beanie. And try to make it so all the folds are flat.
You are going to put your button on this folded piece, so this stitch doesn't have to be pretty it just has to be a nice flat surface for you button. It should end up looking something like this.
Next you will sew your button into place right of the very middle of where you made these folds. Unfortunalty the loop where the button should be sewed on broke off so I just glued mine in place. It ended up looking like this.
And now your done and you have a cool new turban beanie! 

I hope this was useful and you enjoyed this tutorial! Now to make you some turbans and stay warm! 



No comments:

Post a Comment