Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Chicken Lime and Jalapeño soup

A few weeks ago Joseph wasn't feeling well so I decided to make him some soup. My favorite soup is sinagong it's a Filipino soup and I like is extra sour. So when I found this recipe I was really interested. When he was sick I didn't have all the ingredients the recipe called for so some things were left. Which ended up fantastic.  

Here is the original recipe I found on Pinterest: http://www.budgetbytes.com/2012/10/chicken-lime-soup/

I'm going to try to tell you what I used accurately but there definitely wasn't a science or exact measuring so here we go. 

Ingredients: 
1 chicken beast (not too large?) 
1 can of rotel or any tomatoes with green chilies 
1 jalapeno 
1 onion 
1 3 cloves of garlic  
1 4 oz of chicken broth 
1 tsp of Oregano 
1/2 tsp of cumin 
1 lime 
2 tsp of olive oil 

First I sliced the onion. I sliced instead of diced because I love onion in soup and I just prefer it sliced. And I minced the garlic I put the onion and garlic in the pot with the olive oil on medium heat. Soften the onion while you continue with the next step. 
Next I cut up the jalapeño you'll need to scoop out the insides and seeds. To do this first I cut the top of then slice down the middle long ways. The use the knife to cut the middle loose and dice.


Add the diced jalapeños to the pot and let that soften as well. Then add the whole chicken breast.

And then add the can of rotel including the juices, the chicken broth, and the cumin and oregano.

Let that boil on high for a few minutes and then bring it down and let it simmer with the lid. 

The actual recipe said to let it simmer for an hour. I most definitely did not let it simmer for an hour. I needed to eat sooner than later and my sick boyfriend needed food and honestly my shows came on at 8 so dinner needed to be done. So I let it simmer for about 20 minutes. Then I took the chicken out and shredded it with two forks. If you've never done this it's super easy. Just take one fork and hold you would hold a fork when you are trying to cut a piece of chicken and hold the other fork in the other hand in the same way and pull apart.

And now you have shredded chicken!

Then mix in the shredded chicken in your soup. Before you put the top back on take your lime and squeeze it into the soup. I cut my lime into quarters so it was easier to squeeze, but whatever works for you. You might want to take a spoon to push into the lime to get as much juice from it as possible. The lime juice makes it perfect trust me the more the tastier. 

After you add the shredded chicken and lime juice, cover and simmer for 10 more minutes. After that your soup should be done and delicious. A little spicy a tiny bit sour and full of onions. Yum! 


Perfect for a cold day! Or just in the mood for different chicken soup. If you try this I hope it turns out delicious, and if you do try it let me know how it turns out!


 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment