Monday, January 20, 2014

Down with the Thigh Gap


Dear Mocha,

One of the most disturbing trends is the thigh gap. I can't even stand it. It's such an unhealthy goal and standard to try and set for yourself. To strive to be so thin in a distinct place that isn't meant to be so tiny. Unless somehow you are naturally that tiny you would have to go through extreme measure to get yourself there. I'm not talking about a natural space between your legs I'm talking about the unhealthy strive to be skin and bone.
Its not cute, its not attractive. Its honestly scary.  
These are just a couple pictures I found on Tumblr. It's absolutely ridiculous and horrifying that young girls actually look at this and strive toward it. Reading some of the post that go along with these pictures are full of self hate and unrealistic goals. It's so sad that girls view themselves as so far from beautiful. Wanting to be fit and healthy is ok. Wanted to be so thin, that the only way to achieve it is starve yourself or be unhealthy is not ok.


Does Beyoncé have a thigh gap!? Does JLo have a thigh gap!? Does Jennifer Lawrence have a thigh gap?! What about Marilyn Monroe? I don't think so! And if their standards arent good enough for you than you have to know that your perception of perfect is warped.

Werk 

Being a twig isnt beautiful in fact being "skinny" isn't beautiful. Being healthy is beautiful. Confidence is beautiful. Your size doesn't define perfection or beauty or who you are. 
Everyone doesn't love everything about their body and it's ok to set goals but not goals that are harmful to you. 

To be completely honest I don't love my thighs everyday. Do I think to myself I could lose some weight? Yea most women do. But I would never work toward a "thigh gap" goal and I don't beat myself up over it. I would never set an unhealthy goal for myself. Even though I may not always like certain parts of my body I do love my curves. 

I know it might be hard but love who you are. 
If this doesn't really apply to you than that is great honestly, but if you know someone that this does apply to. Encourage them and help them. Most of our insecurities as females stem from other women whether it's comparing or competeing. You are beautiful. Love yourself. You deserve it. 

Love, 
Mickey 

No comments:

Post a Comment