Wednesday, April 16, 2014

DIY Flower Headbands


 I made a flower head band a year ago and luckily I took pictures and documented it just in case it would be a blog post someday. I love the flower head bands I think they are very cute, but I could never find the exact arrangement of flowers or type of head band I liked, so I made my own. I've seen a few tutorials on flower head bands that include more supplies like wire and a little more skill. I wanted to make one that would sit comfortably on my head for a long period of time (and one I wouldn't screw up).  This tutorial is pretty simple and I love how it turned out. For those of you asking about the flower headband in the picture below I made it the same way.



What you will need:

Fake flowers of your choice
    -I used 5-6 flowers on each of mine so get as many as you'll think you'll need.
A head band
    - I like the stretchy head bands for this purpose because they stay on my head better and they are more comfortable for me. The one I used I bought as a two pack from old navy. Any head band would work as long as it has a thick glue-able surface. 
Strong glue
    - I think hot glue would have been and better choice but I used what I had. I used E-600 that I found at Michaels. I use it for everything. Its a tough glue that does take too long to dry and a little goes a long way.
A marker or sharpie
     - I just found whatever sharpie was laying around. Anything that will make a mark on your headband will work. 
A bowl and tape
     - I needed these items to hold the head band in a stretched position while I glued and let the glue dry. 


First you'll want to take the flowers off the plastic stems (or cut the flowers off) to create a flat surface for gluing. As I learned when I did the black roses, be careful about how much of the plastic you remove. If you take all of it off there's a chance your petals will become detached from each other. If the happens you'll just need to do an extra step and glue them back together. 


Now you'll need to get your head band ready to glue. You'll need to compensate for the amount of stretching you'll do when you're putting the headband on and off your head. Pull your head band around a medium size bowl. You'll need the bowl to be the size of your head or a little larger. To make the head band stay in place I tapped it with scotch tape. Just don't tape it anywhere you plan on gluing flowers. If you do need to tape more just remove/move the tap as you go. 


Next I played around with flower placement. I just experimented on where I thought I would want the flowers and how far apart I wanted them. When I figured out where I wanted them I marked it with a sharpie. I didn't mark every place for each flower in the beginning because I wanted to see how each one looked once as it was glued. So I marked the first place glued a flower then marked the second and so on. This worked best for me but if its easier for you to mark them all out first that's ok too.


Once you've finished let the head band sit for awhile and let the glue completely dry. I think I left it for and hour or two before I messed with it.


I pulled and moved the flowers a little to make sure they were staying in place and to see if the glue was completely dry. If it is ready, take it off the bowl and wear your beautiful creation.


    
 ^um can we notice the difference in a year^

  I only went about half way around with the flowers because I felt it was a little more wearable, if you want to go all the way around use a stretchy head band like I did. In the picture above I'm actually wearing it more like a crown so the stretchy head band will totally work. Also I recommend trying the head band and how it sits on your head. You'll just have to be a little more patient with gluing. I think I may try to do a flower crown with flowers all around. If I do I'll keep you updated! 


I hope you loved this tutorial and it was helpful. If you make some flower head bands or flower crowns for yourself let me know how they turned out! 

No comments:

Post a Comment