Wednesday, August 5, 2015

DIY face wash and moisturizer

When I was a teenager I had problems with acne. Nothing too terrible but I had constant acne. As I've gotten older it's gone away and now I just suffer from the occasional break outs. I've tried all kinds of things to control it. And I've learned a lot about my skin along the way. Like when my skin gets dry I'm guaranteed a break out. Also my t-zone is almost always oily and keeping it under control, controls break outs in that area. My skin tends to be more on the sensitive side so most face washes dont do a whole lot for me or make my face worse. The ones that work are usually of the organic variety or at least ones that do not have a whole lot of crazy chemicals. LUSH and Alba has probably worked the best for my face. So I decided to try my hand at making my own face wash. Something gentle, cleansing, and possibility help with my occasional break outs. So I came up with this recipe and I've been using if for a few weeks now and I am so happy with my skin.

Here's what you'll need: 
Aloe vera gel (pure aloe vera gel) or straight from the plant like I did. If you dont like touching slimy things I recommend buying the aloe vera gel, the plant is slimy.
Coconut oil
Tea tree oil
A container to put it all in
*optional add ins
*rose water
*vitamin E oil

As far as the amount to use of each it really depends on your skin and the size of your container. The main ingredient is he coconut oil. The majority of it should be coconut oil. The tea tree oil is drying so depending on how dry your skin is or how sensitive your skin is hoe much you'll put in. The first time I made this I wasn't sure so I did about 4-5 drops.  My container is a pretty good size so the next time I did a little more.  Test the tea tree oil on your skin first.

Ill quickly run through the benefits of each so you an judge much or how little of each you want. 
*Disclaimer* I am not a doctor or a professional anything. Just did some research. You can do your own research if that makes you more comfortable.
Coconut oil- Antibacterial, anti wrinkle, moisturizer, helps remove dead skin
Aloe-Treats dry skin, anti inflammatory (good for acne and reduce redness), anti-fungal, anti-aging 
Tea Tree oil- helps clear up acne, antibacterial, anti-fungal  
Rose water- Soothe irritated skin, balance oily skin, hydrate, 
Vitamin E oil- moisturizer, helps remove age spots, helps remove dirt 


Ok now the how-to:
The easiest way to get the "meat" from the aloe plant is to use a potato peeler and peel just the edges. 

Then peel the top remaining green piece off. Next I used a spoon to scoop out the "meat". Chop up the aloe as much and as thin as I can. Its slimy and hard to cut up but cut it up as small as you can. Chunks aren't a big deal and its kind of inevitable but still the smaller the better.
Next I took a whisk and whisked all the ingredients together until it looks like the below picture.
Then just scoop your new face wash into your container.


This is great for dry skin because how moisturizing it. If you have oily skin and nothing has helped before, I know this might sound crazy, but try using essential oils. Using essential oils helps trick your skin into not producing anymore oil. 

How I wash my face is massage it all over my face. Then I wet a face cloth with nice warm, almost hot water. I rest the wash cloth on my face for about 10-15 seconds. The steam and heat help the oils really sink into your skin. It's actually pretty relaxing. I think anyways. Then I use the wash cloth to gently wipe it all off. Simple as that. It leaves your face moisturized and clean. On days for whatever reason I do not clean my face this way I use this treatment as a moisturizer that I wash off in the morning. My skin is happy and healthy.


No comments:

Post a Comment